Friday, September 23, 2011

Hilarious first post on Memoirs of a White Latino:
Today i sat in my bed, under a mound of blankets (quite womanly I know) and for the first time in a long time actually opened a book with the intent to try to enjoy it.
And later, this line:
Now anyone that truly knows me knows that I'm infatuated with rain.
Mara shares some of the secrets of The Happiness Project:
People don't notice your mistakes as much as you think.
It's okay to ask for help.
Most decisions don't require extensive research.
Do good, feel good.
It's important to be nice to EVERYONE.
Bring a sweater.
Swimstrong is reading Franny & Zooey:
Anyways, my book is written by J.D. Salinger and I'm kind of in love with his writing. . . . Reading this offensive and obnoxious interactions between a boyfriend and girlfriend caused me to take a step back and look at what type of character I am in relationships. Am I the loud friend who's so concerned with myself that others can't even speak?
On hipsteroku, getting to the end of Columbine:
The book is just now revealing the notes and the motives of the killers. It makes you feel like a detective who's just about to crack the case. I love the mystery it leaves hidden, and the adrenaline rush you get reading about the stories of survivors.
Rachel, on her trip to the Blueberry Festival in Plymouth, Michigan:
It was very cold, and full of mini blueberry doughnut eating people. Oh, and the fireworks were awesome, but they sounded like bombs blowing up countries.
That Peruvian Chick on reading Tony Hoagland:
I love this poem, it reminds me of being in love. I'm in love right now, so this poem really relates to me.
She also has invented a really interesting idea for occasional posts that she calls "Just a sentence, just a thought," in which she drops lines from books whenever she comes across something that stands out for her.

XC Hoosier 3366, on James Franco's Palo Alto:
In Palo Alto, Franco is describing the stories of several different teens, and the stories are kind of shocking to me. I'm surprised at the fact that these kind of things actually happen to teenagers my age.


On j_Parker, some thoughts about reading the experiences of a lapsed Christian who attends a Christian rock festival:
i am christian, therefore i found his opinion a little depressing. iv always been around believers and hearing someone who once was and is struggling is.. different.
On the post, she offers to send this article to anyone who is interested in reading it.

On her blog Running in Circles, Greenie realizes something while reading The Kite Runner:
This book has made it very clear to me exactly how ignorant I am when it comes to Middle Eastern culture. All I know is that Sunni and Shi'a Muslims don't get along. I'm vague as to why, or where this hatred even started. I don't remember ever learning about Afghanistan in world history my freshman year, which either means that it wasn't covered in the curriculum, or that I fell asleep that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment